I LOVE ASIAN NOODLES! You know by now that I love all pasta, but Asian noodles are a craving of mine. Especially in the summer, when the heat is scorching, these noodles are simple, fast, refreshing and light. These Asian noodles are perfect for a picnic or a cold dinner when you don’t feel like heating up the kitchen. You can make everything ahead of time and keep it cold in the refrigerator for hours.
How to make Asian noodles
What is great about Asian noodles is that they are Constrained Gourmet friendly! You can use a variety of different ingredients and pretty much whatever you have on hand and that you like. And, even though I love this ginger sesame sauce, you can also use any Asian sauce that you like. This is so versatile! However, if you have not tried sesame paste in your sauce, you will be pleasantly surprised about how much creaminess it gives the dish. You can also serve this as an appetizer or as the main course, which I do especially in the summer or at a picnic.
Asian Noodle Salad
- Ingredients for the Salad
- 8 ounces dried or fresh ramen/soba/rice or udon noodles
- 3/4 pound shrimp or 2 cups of leftover roasted chicken
- 4 cups of vegetables thinly sliced
- Scallions or red onions
- Red pepper
- Bean sprouts
- Shredded carrots
- Snow peas (only if local and seasonal)
- Thai basil
- 1/4 cup of peanuts or cashews
- Ingredients for the Ginger Sesame sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1.5 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1.5 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1.5 teaspoons sesame oil
- Step 1 For the Salad: Boil noodles per package instructions. Note: if any of these noodles come with a seasoning packet, throw it out. You are going to season the noodles with our ginger sesame sauce and it is much healthier, too.
- Step 2 Drain and run cold water over noodles until they are no longer warm.
- Step 3 Place in bowl with 1/4 of sauce.
- Step 4 Boil shrimp and place in ice bath.
- Step 5 When cool, add 4 tablespoons of sauce.
- Step 6 Refrigerate both separately.
- Step 7 For the sauce: Whisk all ingredients but oil in bowl.
- Step 8 Add canola oil, whisking constantly until incorporated.
- Step 9 Add sesame oil and whisk again until combined.
- Step 10 Refrigerate until you are ready to dress the noodles, up to 1 day in advance.
- Step 11 When ready to serve, combine vegetables with remaining sauce and pour over noodles.
- Step 12 Toss.
- Step 13 Top with mint, nuts and shrimp.
Wine Recommendations: I would serve a refreshing Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Chardonnay or Rosé.