I am usually constrained to make this recipe because it’s actually hard to get chicken skin. You can’t buy it at the store and I never have any leftover. I really wish I had thought of this myself. It is one of the most creative, delicious snacks you can imagine. The next time that you are lucky enough to have leftover chicken skins, DON’T THROW THEM OUT! Use them to make this awesome crispy chicken skin appetizer for your family and friends.
You must know that I am the type that loves crispy chicken skin. Whether it is roasted or fried, I think the skin is one of the best parts of eating chicken. My favorite part of the chicken is the wing, so that tells you something. I rarely have leftover chicken skin because I use it almost all of the time. But yesterday, I happened to obtain some leftover skin to make this incredible crispy chicken skin appetizer. Once you taste it, you will make it again and again.You can also play around with the remainder of the ingredients to suit your taste. I’ve had this in a restaurant with a sweet chili sauce, which is excellent as well.
All of the elements of a great dish are here – salty, crispy, sour, spicy and sweet if you serve it with a peach margarita! You will also be surprised that it is not oily. When you bake the chicken skins, the fat is released and most of it will be discarded when you remove the parchment paper.
Thank you to Eli Dahlin from Damn the Weather in Seattle, WA for this amazing concoction! I modified the recipe slightly below for my taste. There are endless modifications that you can make and I hope you will!
Crispy Chicken Skins
- 6 chicken thigh skins
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 small garlic cloves
- 1 large jalapeno, sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 Remove skins from chicken.
- Step 2 Place on parchment paper lined sheet pan.
- Step 3 Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Step 4 Let sit in refrigerator for about 4 hours to dry out.
- Step 5 When ready to cook, add another layer of parchment paper on top of chicken skins.
- Step 6 Top with another sheet pan. This will keep chicken skins flat while they cook.
- Step 7 Cook for 1 hour in preheated 350 degree oven.
- Step 8 Let cool but use within 3 hours of cooking.
- Step 9 Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in small saucepan over low heat and cook 4 large or 8 small garlic cloves, stirring occasionally until translucent, about 8 minutes. Do not brown the garlic! It will change the flavor.
- Step 10 Let cool and remove garlic. Reserve oil for another use, such as basting on crostini or frying potatoes.
- Step 11 In a bowl, add jalapeno, green onions, cilantro, peanuts, garlic and lime juice.
- Step 12 Slice crispy chicken skins to desired size.
- Step 13 Gently toss in crispy chicken skin.
- Step 14 Serve with lime wedge for squeezing over the top.
I suggest serving this with someone that you really like and you can ooh and ah at the flavors while enjoying profusely!